Unit 4 Electricity and magnetism
- Current is measured using an ammeter.
- An ammeter has very low resistance to current and so does not affect the current in the circuit: it simply measures it. An analogue ammeter gives a reading with a needle moving across a scale; a digital ammeter has a numerical reading displayed.
- The analogue ammeter below shows a current of 0.50A.
- The digital ammeter below shows a current of 1.26A.
- An ammeter is always placed in series with other components in a circuit.